Every Halloween me, my sisters and all the kids pile round to my mum’s. The road she lives in is great for the kids to go trick or treating. It’s tucked away off a main road and is totally family friendly. With Halloween getting bigger and bigger each year and more commercialised , remember when you were happy a witches hat and a broom and one of your mum’s black tops as a dress? No just me then? You know what I mean though, it was still all fun and innocent. No trying to out do the neighbours kids and all that palava.
As great as the neighbours are for trick or treating, some of them really do go all out, some people choose not to celebrate. Now with our babies at an age where they can join in, they are still too young really to understand this and get a little carried away in the heat of the moment, or sugar rush to be more accurate.
To make sure the kids have as much fun as possible and enjoy the night trick or treating we have a few rules they have to follow so as not to annoy the neighbours who choose not to join in the Halloween fun.
- We always stay together as a group, last year the adults took it in turns, 4 of us, to take the 7 kids out. There are 8 of them this year plus any add ons that turn up at ‘Mum’s party house’ If anyone runs ahead they go home!
- They take it turns to knock at the door one at a time not all together, it can be intimidating even though they are all only young still.
- They say Trick or Treat or Happy Halloween as my niece likes to say instead.
- If there are no lights on, no one knocks, this is a major one.
- 1 knock only, if no one answers we just move on.
- Seeing how many sweets you can get off nanny before she realises it’s her grandkids at the door is to be done as often as possible! 3 times last year!
- You must say thank you and respect the neighbours by keeping the noise down, not so easy after a night of eating sweets.
- Any sweets deemed unsuitable or large quantities will be confiscated……for their own good of course!
They all really look forward to trick or treating however I think having a few rules in place make sure they all know to keep it fun for those who want to join in.
I hope you all have a fun Halloween happy trick or treating.