Control Your Cravings And Enjoy Your Food

hands holding a cup of ice cream

We all have them. Cravings that seem to come out of nowhere and knock us right off our healthy eating plan. Cravings are not the enemy. They are built into your body for a specific reason. Understanding that reason is the key to control and balance.

Even animals have cravings. A sheep will crave fresh, green, grass. Her body tells her she needs it and even if she is far away from a grassy field, she will seek it out to fill her craving. The difference is, she burns the energy required to enjoy the grass on her journey to get it.

The same was true for early man. He had cravings. He craved meats, grains, sweets, and fruit. But, in his day that meant hunting, harvesting, collecting honey and picking fruits. His lifestyle burned the calories and balanced his efforts with his feasts.

Modern man has an endless supply of food. Much of it is processed and loaded with so many mixtures of foods and chemicals that when we crave it, we do not know what part of our body is in need of it.

Why do we crave certain foods?

We crave a food because it gives us a physical or physiological feeling that we desire. Often it is both. A side effect of eating refined carbs like, cookies, crackers, pastry, sugars, and sodas is a short-term rise in our brain’s serotonin levels. We eat it and feel really good for a little while. Then in 20 to 60-minutes that serotonin level drops and your brain demands more of that food because it wants the serotonin.

Other times, our blood sugar is low or we are imbalanced with a particular vitamin or nutrient. To control the cravings we must balance our bodies. We do that with a healthy diet, exercise, and supplements if needed.

cup and saucer on a wooden tablePhoto by karl chor on Unsplash

There are times when we combine our cravings – I’m talking to my caffeine addicted friends here. Low sugar levels and caffeine deprivation are a tough combo to fight. A great day to deal with it is to start your day with bulletproof coffee. There are enough fats in it to help you feel full and the caffeine intake comes in handy! Here is a great guide from Home Grounds on how to make it.

What can we do about it?

The first thing you need to understand is willpower has nothing to do with anything. A craving is a natural function and you must find the source of the issue and correct it.

There are wonderful nootropics that are all natural and they will restore the balance to the brain and help control cravings.

Do not deprive yourself. Snacking on a few pieces of candy on a regular basis will keep your body from going into a craving mode for sweets. This gives you the freedom of power to address the underlying issue. Even professionals agree, if you allow 10% of your diet to be for planned indulgences, the other 90% will keep you fit and healthy. It is not about stopping a raging craving. It is about preventing one.

Sweet Services is an online candy store that can arrange drop shipments to you as needed. Don’t try to control yourself in a candy store. Have a variety of sweet indulgences or create a mixture of sugar-free and gluten-free candy so that you have a variety to choose from. When you feel yourself slipping to overdo it on your candy of choice, dip into your sugar-free stash.

trays of different sweets

Remember, everything your body does, it does for a reason. Discover the reasons you are responding the way you are and you are well on your way to making adjustments that stop the madness.  Everything from weight gain to sleep is determined by the predefined rules of the human body. Learn to work with your body and you will feel better, look better, and function to your full capacity.

*DISCLAIMER: A COLLABORATIVE POST*
Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.