Walt Disney has introduced us to many Disney characters over the years, check out the Britto collection by Disney to see some of the most famous. It’s difficult to choose a favourite but two of the most well-loved have to be Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
Where It All Began
To find out where this popular rodent couple originated from we need to rewind to 1928. Walt Disney dreamt up and sketched Mickey Mouse whilst travelling by train from New York to Los Angeles. He proved to be a hit, and later that same year Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks came up with the character of Minnie Mouse, complete with red and white spotty dress and a distinctive bow to match. (however, at times Minnie has been known to sport a blue outfit with a pink bow for a change)!
Minnie and Mickey didn’t get together straight away, like all good relationships things built up slowly. After a bit of a bumpy start, Mickey eventually revealed his true feelings in 1929, much to the delight of Disney fans. Luckily for Mickey, Minnie seemed flattered and the happy duo was set for coupledom.
Are Minnie and Mickey Married?
This is a question asked by many. The marvellous mice have never tied the knot on screen, however, Walt Disney has been asked about their union a number of times. In one interview back in 1933 he did reveal that “in private life, Mickey is married to Minnie,” but that’s all we really know! Maybe the twosome wanted to bow out of the spotlight for the biggest moment of their lives? Interestingly the two actors who provided the voices for Mickey and Minnie (Russi Taylor and Wayne Allwine) were a married couple in real life!
So, What Do We Know About the Happy Couple?
Ok, we’re not totally convinced they are married, but there are some facts we do know about our favourite mice:
- Minnie had a very clear idea about what her dream man (or mouse) would be like. She thought he would stride into the room, glowing, and carrying flowers.
She also stated she would hear music and assumed she would be swept off her feet. Add to this she expected her dream partner to make her laugh and you start to understand that Minnie had quite high expectations, luckily Mickey seemed to fit the bill!
- Mickey and Minnie shared the screen for the first time in 1929 in an animation called “Plane Crazy.” It featured Mickey asking Minnie if she would care to join him for a plane ride. Minnie accepted his invitation, but Mickey obviously misread the signals. He moved in for a cheeky kiss and Minnie ended up jumping out of the plane! Luckily, she was wearing a parachute – but it wasn’t the best start for our lovebirds, was it?
- The pair did eventually get together and Mickey announced his happy news via a song where he called Minnie his “sweetie” and his “little Minnie Mouse.” Ah, we do love a romantic union!
- There has been a question mark over the full name of Minnie Mouse, some believe it is actually Minerva Mouse and merely shortened to Minnie, but Minnie seems to be her favoured moniker – so who are we to argue?
- Walt Disney actually provided vocals for both Minnie and Mickey when the two characters first hit the big screen. He struggled to find the right artists to complement his vision, so he decided the only way he could move forward was to provide the voices himself.
- Minnie sometimes appears alongside her relatives and friends on screen, these include her uncle Mortimer Mouse, and her twin nieces Melody and Millie (although they rarely appear together and Melody tends to grace the screen more than her sister Millie). Her best pal is Daisy Duck and she also counts Clarabelle Cow as one of her close friends.
An Endless Love Story
Minnie and Mickey have been going strong as a couple since 1929. During the time they’ve graced our screen they have had fun together, embarked on numerous adventures, enjoyed spending time with friends and delighted us with their amusing antics. We’re not 100% sure whether they’ve tied the knot but we do not that they make a fabulous couple and we hope they will continue on together for many, many more years.